One of the primary pillars of Australian Women’s Day is giving back. Each year a philanthropic focus is chosen by the AWD Identity Council. This year the philanthropic focus is supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.
To fund the grant, we’re inviting you to donate here at any time. In addition, each year we’ll be hosting two major philanthropic events; one on Australian Women’s Day (22 September) and one on International Women’s Day (8 March) where we’ll be inviting the women and men of Australia to make a donation to support the creation of a grant for the women and girls of Australia.
One hundred percent of donations made on those days will be held by the Australian Women’s Day Trust and allocated to the Women’s Grant.
If you would like to contribute to the creation of the grant, please donate here.
We hope to raise upwards of $15,000 for this grant. We’d love your support to change the lives of women in this country.
Nominations for the first round of grant funding will be open from Monday 14 October 2019 and will close on Friday 20 March 2020.
Finalists will be announced via our website and social media channels on 20 April 2020 and the winners will be announced on 8 May 2020.
- The nominee can be an individual, a not for profit organisation, or a company and must be based in Australia
- You may nominate yourself or your organisation, or someone may nominate you
- If the nominee is an individual, she must identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander woman
- If the nominee is an organisation, it must demonstrate how the grant will support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander women (preference will be given to organisations that are owned and operated by First Nations people)
- Projects may focus on support, empowerment, and/or healing work
- Applications need to clarify the kind of support the grant will make possible
- They also need to clarify the impact and reach of the project (noting that we value impact just as much as reach. If one woman’s life will be dramatically improved through the grant, we consider that just as valuable as creating minimal impact for hundreds of women)
- Applications must clearly outline how the money will be spent
- Applications must have a way to demonstrate the impact of the grant (noting that a woman’s personal happiness is high on our list of priorities and if she could talk to a noticeable increase in her own personal happiness, fulfilment, or satisfaction as a consequence of the grant, that would be sufficient to meet the criteria)
- The funds must be used within 10 months of being awarded and Australian Women’s Day will be contacting the winners in August 2019 and February 2020 to complete a follow up story.
- A video will be available here from 5 August 2019 with more details about the grant
- Applications will be available from 14 October 2019
- If, in the meantime, you have any questions about the Women’s Grant, please email us.
If you’d like to be notified when the applications open, please complete the form below: